BK Nook

This is a website of book reviews to help readers decide whether books are right for them.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Operation Firebrand: Deliverance

A few nights ago I finished the last in the Operation Firebrand series: Operation Firebrand: Deliverance by Jefferson Scott. It was the final book and not too bad. This final book dealt with Christians in North Korea and the struggle they go through. It is a fiction book, but I'm well aware of the Christians living in countries where Christianity is a hidden relationship with Christ, shown only behind closed doors with close friends and/or family who share the same beliefs. So although this book is fiction, the story it told could have been that of any Christian. My eyes were opened with the amazing faith that they prove to have day in and day out, especially those who are willing to share their faith with others despite the knowledge that torture or death await them if they are caught by their particular government. I enjoyed this book because it really took me back to those questions we all ask ourselves at one point or another:

If faced with the option of death (from declaring my faith) or freedom (by denying Christ) what do I choose?

In high school and college I read up on several martyrs, especially those who were in their late teens and early twenties. It's easy right now to say, "Yeah, I'd totally be willing to die for Christ." But if I'm honest, as I was reading this book, I totally tried to put myself in the place of those North Koreans and it was hard. I pray that I'll never be put in that situation, but if I am, I pray that my faith will overcome my fear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home